Monday, October 6, 2008

Journey of thousand miles to Ph.D.

I got good news from Prof. Marinus last Friday that my thesis has been passed to be defended in December 15th, 2008. The defense ceremony will take place at Akademie gebouw, Utrecht Universiteit, Domplein 29, at 12.45. Many thanks God for your lordliness.
From now on, I must prepare for my public defense ceremony. This event could make up the Ph.D. candidate deadly nervous, I was told.
And I remember:
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step (Confucius)". My Ph.D. started with a single step by completing my Master degree. And thousand miles to Wageningen, when I had opportunity to visit CBS, and then becoming million miles for 5 years of my sandwich Ph.D. at Utrecht University, which enable me to come and back regularly every year to this windmills country. Yes, it is very long journey for my Ph.D.
Since then, I've decided my goals. "Goals are a like a map. They help us determine where we want to end up, and give us personal direction on which to focus our energy (Chatarine Pulsifer)".

When I am looking at back after I started my study, many important happy, sad and even tragic moment happened in my life, which I could not mention them one by one. Only with love, understanding and support from family, my father and mother, my sisters with their families, and relatives, I could manage family life and study life. Support from supervisor, like Pak Meine did, was really appreciated.

And now is the time:
... Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
...

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore, be at peace with God,whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.
"Desiderata" by Max Ehrmann (1927).


No comments: